Engineering Manager – Data Infrastructure (Remote)
Yelp, Toronto, ON, Canada.
Ready to take your remote engineering career to the next level? Yelp Engineering is filled with creative minds, collaborative teams & expert coders. We’re looking for a savvy and tenacious engineering manager to join our Data Infrastructure organization. Our Data Infrastructure ecosystem powers critical machine learning, real-time notifications, sales and marketing engineering, experimentation and data warehousing use cases across Yelp. You will partner with engineering managers, program managers, product managers, and data science leaders to help deliver Yelp’s next generation data infrastructure ecosystem. The Data Infrastructure group is located across London and North America; the group looks after our entire streaming infrastructure (Apache Kafka and Apache Flink) as well as our databases (MySQL and Cassandra) and data warehouse (Redshift) – You can read more about our infrastructure in our engineering blog.
Successful Managers are passionate about Yelp, keep up with our daily release cycles, and maintain our useful, funny, cool culture during times of immense growth. It also doesn’t hurt to have strong technical skills.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Please note that this role will operate remotely and is open to all candidates in Ontario.
Where You Come In:
• You will lead complex technical projects and a team of software engineers.
• You will coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from new college graduates to senior engineers.
• You will provide frequent and constructive feedback.
• You will help define the long term roadmap for the team.
• You will roll up your sleeves and code alongside your team when needed.
• You will help define and execute major initiatives that have impact across multiple organizations.
• You will help evangelize Data Infrastructure best practices across the company.
• You will provide transparency and predictability of initiatives for stakeholders.
• You will participate in the hiring process.
• You will foster and grow a fun, diverse and inclusive culture that reflects Yelp’s values.
What it Takes to Succeed:
• You have previous experience as a manager with excellent people management skills and the ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers.
• You have agile development experience.
• You are an excellent communicator, and can successfully build relationships with a broad set of internal stakeholders.
• You are able to influence and build consensus across multiple teams and stakeholders.
• You are able to bring order to a high-pressure, chaotic situation.
• You have command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, Objective-C, C++, etc.
• You have experience operating or supporting teams which operate TB scale data warehouse or data lake technologies such as AWS Redshift, AWS Athena / Apache Presto, AWS S3 and so on.
• Ability to participate in 24/7 incident response when necessary.
• You are comfortable coordinating initiatives across multiple locations (London, Hamburg and San Francisco).
• You are comfortable working in a Unix environment.
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.